Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Week 10: Communicate...Creatively...Really?

                                     -Miley Cyrus 


Being a Communication major, this lecture touched pretty close to home. Dr. V has communicated in previously lectures that he wants us to actually take something from his class rather than just have to sit through it, and today I definitely took something away. An exercise he began the class with was getting us to think of a hero or role model to us. Well the first thing that came to mind was my parents. They are so inspiring with how much they work and how much they truly care about my family. This might sound kind of odd, but the second person that came to my mind was Miley Cyrus. People are always criticizing her for the "new" form she's taken. Even so, she never wavers in her true identity. She doesn't care that people may not like who she is now--she always stays true to herself.


Then Dr. V asked us to imagine that we were in an elevator and all of the sudden they walked in. What would we say? Well...thinking about it, I would probably tell Miley I truly admire her and what she stands for--self expression. But ACTUALLY thinking about what I'd do in that situation, I'd probably freeze up and freak out. I want to change that and vow to myself that if I see Miley in an elevator, I would actually talk and tell her how amazing she is. So here's to hoping I see her in an elevator haha! 

The next exercise that hit me hard was when he asked us to think of something that stuck with you. The first things that came to mind were 2 quotes. The first was one my grandma always used to say: "Kill them with kindness." This is something I always try to do with my life. Even if people don't treat me with respect or love, I always want to personify kindness. The next quote is one near and dear to my heart: "Let your whole life be a song." This quote is trying to convey to people to always strive to make more out of your life and let it be beautiful. How inspiring?!
(My grandma, me, and my niece Kylie Jo)

I want to embody kindness and beauty in everything that I do. I always want to appear strong and confident, and allow myself to do things I couldn't ever imagine myself doing (speaking to Miley).

No comments:

Post a Comment