Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Week 4: How close is TOO close?

We've all experienced it...that person who stands to close to you in line at the grocery store. What about the person that sits right next to you in the waiting room at the doctor's office when there are plenty of chairs open? You just want to yell at them and say, "THIS IS MY SPACE, BUDDY!" That is exactly what Dr. Hill talked about today--personal space. One of the most interesting things within his lecture, to me, was the fact that children have inconsistent ideas about personal space than the rest of us. Hmmm... think about it. We hold babies. We tell 3 year olds to come sit on our lap. And we are always holding their hands, whether its in the mall, walking across the street, or just in a crowded place. This concept is so simple, yet left me thinking...why do children who love to cuddle grow up to be adults who lack that simple intimate connection that we can share with others?

Simply put, adults are "not supposed" to be intimate with each other unless they are involved romantically. However intimate does not always have to mean sexual or sensual. To me, the word intimate can evoke a sense of closeness between two people. For instance, every time I see my best friends, I shower them with hugs. Every time I meet a new person, I either give them a handshake or a hug. Why can't more people accept the small, intimate opportunities of everyday life?

No comments:

Post a Comment