"Are you keeping order and equilibrium with the status quo, or taking the status quo to the edge of chaos in pursuit of a grand new vision?"
Tricky, tricky question... As of now in my life, I think I'm just keeping up with the status quo. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing right now though! I'm trying to learn everything in my classes and soak it in so I will be able to push the boundaries of chaos one day! Like Dr. V said, "Be a sponge." Well that's what I'm trying to do right now! Hopefully in the future I'll be able to be more like what he's suggesting we be: a role model and exemplary leader.
Dr. V said leaders should posses certain characteristics, but asked US what we think leaders should posses. To me, a leader should be approachable, passionate, selfless, and responsible. While all of that, to me, qualifies a leader, Dr. V says a leader should have these characteristics:
1. Listening
2. Empathy
3. Healing
4. Awareness
5. Persuasion
6. Conceptualization
7. Foresight
8. Stewardship
9. Commitment to the growth of people
10. Building community
Out of these characteristics, Dr. V asked us to pick the ones that we think are most important in a leader. I believe commitment to the growth of people is vital for a leader to posses. If they are leading a group without a "destination" in mind for them, what are they really striving towards? More than that, how should they conduct themselves? I believe leaders should be loyal to their cause, confident, and hold themselves to a higher standard in order to uplift the morality of the group. The ultimate leader that comes to mind when I hear these characteristics is Nelson Mandela. He had a dream in his mind and he desperately wanted it to be accomplished. He always stood up for what he believed in, and he listened to the people he was representing. What did that end up getting him? A presidency. Another leader that comes to mind is Hitler. While he definitely possessed the characteristics of conceptualization and foresight, he lacked dramatically in the empathy and building community categories. Where did that get him? In a grave with no honor tied to his name.
Its so important to remember your ambitions as a leader, but to also keep in mind what the group/people you are leading want. However as Dr. V reminded us, in the words of Franz Erhart, "Do NOT be afraid to be a leader."

No comments:
Post a Comment